"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Monday, October 8, 2012

Tender Moments

In my 3rd period writing class, I have an array of abilities. Some students can write fairly well and retain information. Other students can hardly write one sentence and look at me with a blank stare even after reviewing the same material for a week, then quizzing them and giving them the answers.
I am doing a final project for my Nouns, Verbs, & Adjectives unit that requires my students to make a powerpoint presentation teaching the class about these different parts of speech. When I came up with that project, I figured I would have to help a couple of these lower-ability kids one-on-one with the project. That was fine with me - I was still excited about the project.

Well, when we started the project last Friday, I told my students they were allowed to work independently or with a partner. Most of the student paired up and I was getting ready to tell a particular 7th grade student that I would help him, when an 8th grade girl (who is much higher ability-wise and probably doesn't need to be in my writing class) asked this boy to be her partner.
As I watched this girl, I saw her explain what she was doing and give this boy a turn to type while spelling the words out for him. She was very patient and not even remotely condescending. I was so impressed with her that I wrote her a note today.
In the note I told her that I was really impressed that she asked this boy to be her partner and I loved how she included him. I concluded the note by saying that I bet she she was a great friend and sister.
This girl read the note in front of me and got quite a lovely smile on her face when she finished.

Do you want to know the best part? The boy who was her partner saw me give her the note and asked what it was. When I told him I had given her a note, he said, "That is so nice of you."
He really is the sweetest kid. I'm so glad that I got to watch this exchange. I have some great kids in my classes!

-Ms. Damron-


Now for some comedy relief - during this same period today, I commented on one of my students who got his hair cut. He used to hide under his hair and I could never see his eyes! He always had to do the Justin Bieber flip of his hair to get it out of his eyes. I told him I loved his new hair cut because I could actually see his eyes. That same boy who is that girl's partner said, "You look so cute!"  It was the funniest, cutest thing. This boy always says the nicest things and he's so sincere. I love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment