"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Switch

This past week has been full of...energy? I don't quite know how to explain it. I'm pretty sure spring time does something completely insane to middle school students. They are all crazy! Wednesday I had the craziest 6th period. I was late to class because I was asking my facilitator a question about an IEP I had after school. She talked to me for a couple of minutes after the bell, so I was zooming to my classroom when I ran into the parent and student of the meeting I had scheduled after school! The mom had a doctor's appointment that she forgot about, so she wanted to re-schedule. Awesome. I really needed to get this IEP done in order to stay in compliance with the law and whatnot, so we scheduled it for the next morning at 7:30am.
By the time I got back to my classroom, I would say it had been about ten minutes. Oops. My students had gotten their materials out, but they were all laughing and giggling about these drinks called "Switch" drinks. Apparently one of them had "bought out" the a la carte and had about 5 (maybe more) of these drinks in his backpack. He was giving them out to the other students and so at least four of them were drinking these sparkling fruit drinks:
My heavens. I don't think the drinks are caffeinated, but holy cow were my students hyper and totally incapable of accomplishing anything. We got through our journal entry and the daily review, but after that, I had to relinquish control and just enjoy the show. There was no controlling them! I didn't want to teach a lesson that none of them would retain!
During their craziness, we covered quite a few topics. I don't remember how we got onto the topic of girlfriends, but one of the students said the following,

"Girlfriends are like mustaches...you have to shave her..."

There was a delayed reaction, but everyone started cracking up. This poor kid was like, "No! That's not what I meant! I meant you have to take care of her like you have to take care of a mustache..."

There was no hope. He definitely got mocked for that one. All I can say is that I hope the next three weeks go by quickly because I feel like I'm losing more and more control because spring fever is hitting everyone (especially me!).

-Ms. Damron-

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Spring time and middle schoolers. I can't get a dang thing done!!

    ReplyDelete