"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Last. IEP. Done.

Yesterday (Tuesday, May 15) I finished my last IEP.

YYYYEEEEEEESSSSSS!

It was quite the day though. I started off the morning with an IEP at 7:30. I learned a good lesson because when I got there I explained to the parent that the school psychologist wouldn't be able to attend and the parent was pretty bummed because he likes the insight that the pysch brings. I offered to re-schedule, but he said that since we were all gathered together, we might as well hold the IEP. Shoot. Next time I'll be better at communicating and making sure that the parent is fully aware of the situation.
The IEP went a little into first period, but only about ten-fifteen minutes. One of the paras watched the class until I got there. :)

Then after school I had another IEP. I hadn't written that IEP though, so I spent my prep period with the student whose IEP I was holding. I don't have her in class, so I had to give her several worksheets to check her progress. Poor girl. It took a good half hour or more! Because that took a lot of my prep period, I ended up writing most of the IEP during my lunch, then sneaking away for a few minutes during 7th period to finish it.
When I set up the IEP, mom told me that she works until 3:00, so she would rush over as soon as she could (she said maybe 3:10). Don't worry. I waited out by the main office until 3:30 with the 8th grade school counselor, Dr. Summers. The poor man waited forever with me, but sadly he had to leave at 3:30. I had given up, when all of a sudden, one of the paras, Lisa, called me and said that mom was by the main office. This was at 3:40pm.
Lucky for me (and mom!), Boyd, the vice principal, was still there. I can't hold IEPs without an LEA (if you really care what that means, you can ask me personally), so I would have had to re-schedule with mom after she finally got there.
While I was walking with mom to get Mrs. Scott, a general ed English teacher, mom was very confused and asked why we had to have so many people at the meeting. I explained that we always have an LEA, general ed teacher, and Special Ed teacher...She said that she had never had that many people at these meetings before.
Umm...it's required by law...so I sure hope that she had all of those people at previous meetings!
Because Mrs. Scott had a student in her classroom, and Boyd was supposed to be somewhere else by that time, we had a more...unconventional IEP and held it on a bench in the hall! I flew threw the IEP, got signatures, then everyone was dismissed! Yikes. Mom and I chatted for a few minutes after, but still. I felt a little unsure about everything, but if mom was happy, then it was all okay!

I was just so relieved that I FINISHED!!! Some sort of celebration is definitely in order.

-Ms. Damron-

No comments:

Post a Comment