"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Monday, April 22, 2013

A true sob story

This story involves legitimate tears. And lots of them.

This morning during our PLC/faculty meeting, I was looking over and preparing for an IEP and 3-year eligibility meeting I have scheduled for tomorrow morning.

When I was creating the notice of meeting, I noticed the date from the previous IEP was not as it should be, and when I researched a little bit more, I discovered that this IEP is past due. My heart pretty much stopped. (Dates are SUCH A BIG DEAL in Special Ed. It's ridiculous.)

There was not fixing that. I went and told my facilitator what had happened. Yaaay.

When I returned to my table, I looked a little bit deeper and realized that not only was my IEP due last Thursday (4/18), but the eligibility was due yesterday (4/21), which happened to be a Sunday, by the way.

I had to leave the room and go cry in my classroom for a good 5-6 minutes. I realize that this is not the end of the world, BUT, dates really are extremely important and this student is an 8th grader, meaning I'm sending a folder to the high school that is already out of compliance and messed up. How lame!
While I was crying in my classroom, I honestly contemplated getting a sub so that I could go home and crawl into bed. Faculty meeting was starting soon though, so I had to pull myself together. I said a quick prayer, went to the bathroom, and magically pulled myself together and had a wonderful day.

That problem is still there, but hey, I feel better now! haha

-Ms. Damron-

No comments:

Post a Comment