"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Friday, April 20, 2012

What if you don't remember what it's like to have parents?

In my 7th grade Resource Learning classes, I've been reading a book called Surviving the Applewhites. The idea to read this book came at the end of Term 2 when I was having some serious issues with bullying due to a particularly difficult student who belittled the other students regularly. I was looking up lessons on bullying using the internet and I stumbled upon that book. I immediately bought it on Amazon, read it, and then started reading about a chapter a day. The students took to the book and really enjoyed it. I was a little worried they wouldn't enjoy it because middle schoolers can be tricky, but they liked it (for the most part).
We finally finished the book this week. I meant to finish it last term, but the end of the term was crazy and I didn't want to take up precious homework help time reading that book. The kids were pretty excited to finish the book this week. We also finished filling out their study guide that goes along with it. One of the questions asked about the parents in the book and then asked what makes a good parent. When I opened up this question for a discussion, I got several things:

-doesn't make me do too much around the house like mopping or the dishes, but I can help with my brother and sister
-has routines
-let's me do fun things
-no curfew
-is pretty chill
-trusts me
-helps me take responsibility and learn things for when I go out on my own

It was a pretty good conversation, but one boy innocently raised his hand and asked this question, "What if you don't remember what it's like to have parents?" For a second there I didn't know what to say. This boy's mother died a little while ago, and dad has been out of the picture for a while now. He lives with his aunt now. I told him to write about whoever takes care of him.

The whole conversation made me think about my own parents though. I feel so blessed to have such amazing parents! They love me and they let me know it. They taught me to take care of myself. They go out of their way to help me. We had certain rules in the house and we followed them. Etc. I owe my parents so much because they helped shape and mold me. I love them dearly and I hope they know how grateful I am for what they have done for me.

-Ms. Damron-

No comments:

Post a Comment