"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sunny "D"

March 19 - 23 was Girls' Week. Monday - Friday there were various dress-up days for the girls only. The next week was Boys' Week and they did the same thing. (Just for the record, the girls were so much better at dressing up then the boys!) My little section of classrooms and teachers was the BEST. Erin Radandt, Lisa Fisher, and I dressed up almost every day. We were a fun corner to walk by. Wednesday or Thursday was "hip-hop" day and I couldn't really come to school dressed like this:






Although now that I think about it, I wish I had found this picture earlier because it's not too bad (except for the exposed midriff, that it NOT even an option with me). ANYWAY, I did my best to find some baggy sweatpants to wear along with a big, trucker-style hat. Fortunately, my sister hooked me up. After school, I took some pictures with Erin Radandt. It was hilarious describing what "hip hop" meant now-a-days. She was thinking hip-hop meant 50s or 60s. When her students told her that hip-hop meant gangster, she didn't believe them! Lisa and I quickly filled her in while doing the gangster walk through the halls. It was hilarious.

Here's what came out of our explanation. She beat me hands down.







Isn't she great? I stinking love this woman.
Well, earlier that day we also had a practice fire drill or something like that. When we went outside, my classroom lined up next to K. Christen's class  (it's all alphabetical). We were joking about giving me a gangster name or something and so we had this converstation:

Kenyon: Heavy D.
Me: I'm still a girl!
Kenyon: Okay - Skinny D.
Me: Wait - Sunny D!

And that is how my nickname, Sunny D came about! I think we may have forgotten about it already, but later that day Kenyon was talking to our principal in the middle of the hall and he shouted out, "Yo Sunny D!" I turned around and made a little peace sign or something and Kenyon and my principal just started cracking up. Good times!

-Ms. Damron-

1 comment: