"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Friday, April 20, 2012

So I do have this job next year?

Could Friday have come at a better time? I feel like I have been waiting and waiting for it to be Friday! I have just not gotten enough sleep this week and it has really affected me!

This morning began a little hectic because Mrs. Radandt's daughter had an emergency C-section last night, so she had to take a personal leave day. Normally that would be fine, but because it's BYU's graduation, she couldn't get a sub! (There are so many students at BYU who sub. Who would have known?) I hadn't even thought about that, but now I know! Anyway, we knew she wouldn't be able to get a sub, so one of the paras ended up watching over her class. She did a great job, but that meant that she was in there all day. The other two paras were helping with the CRT (end-of-year) testing, so they were busy all day too. That meant I was a lone all day. Now, I am the teacher, so it's not a big deal, except that I teach four homework-help classes. That means I have to try to help however many students I have in my class do their homework all at the same time. It is not easy! You would think that they would love the help with their homework and they would cherish their time in my class. In fact, you would think that they would be so grateful for the opportunity to get help on their homework, that they would be perfectly on-task, never waste time, wait patiently when I'm helping another student...
Yeah right. You would think I'm torturing them when I DEMAND that they get homework out and get to work. (Demanding is the only way to get them to do homework these days.)
The day actually went fairly smoothly considering I was on my own. 4th period can be tricky though because it's my largest class. I was in the middle of helping about four students with a science packet when my principal walked in my classroom. Don't worry though, I was managing all of my students and they were being so obedient and quietly working on homework...
Oh. Gottcha! There were three girls in the corner who were "reading"/TALKING and then a boy at a computer goofing off doing who knows what (I had asked him to read his book) and another boy drawing a picture informing me that he was drawing what he was thinking and it would save the world. (Just a side note, when I told him he needed to be doing homework because he was failing four out of seven of his classes, he told me that doing his homework would not help the world. I informed him that drawing that picture would not help him pass his classes, which is what he was supposed to do.)

To say the least, I was a little stressed when my principal walked in. Of all the days! haha Oh well. My students were at least being quiet and it wasn't complete chaos, which was good.
On my way to lunch, I stopped by the office to drop something off. My principal was in there and started talking to me. This is how the conversation went:

Mr. Swenson: Hey! I submitted your name...
me: Oh really? I was going to ask you about that.
Mr. Swenson: You were? Are we talking about the same thing?
me: I don't know. What are you talking about?
Mr. Swenson: Summer school. Every summer some 6th graders go to summer school to help with the transition into middle school. We generally have one teacher from Centennial and then a teacher from the elementary school teach. In the past Erin Radandt, Mary Buynak, and other people have taught those classes. I thought you would be a good candidate.
me: Oh man! I wish I could but I'll be gone in June. :( I was referring to my position next year. I got an email from the district saying I need to re-apply for the position because I'm a first-year teacher. If my principal likes me though, it should be an easy process.
Mr. Swenson: Oh. I have never heard of this. I thought you were an automatic shoe-in for next year.
me: Oh really? So I do have this job next year?
Mr. Swenson: YES! I didn't even get that email so I don't know what you're talking about. This last year they did things differently. It was the first year in my 11 years as principal that I have not had a say in who I got to hire for Special Ed.
me: Wow. Well, I'm glad to know I have a job next year! I'll forward you that email so you will know what they were talking about.
Mr. Swenson: Great!

I felt much better after that conversation. :)

The rest of the day went pretty well. And it's Friday, so that means it's always a good day.

-Ms. Damron-

1 comment: