"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Friday, September 9, 2011

Three weeks down!


Can you believe that it has been three weeks since school started?! I can't even believe how fast time is going.
It's about time I gave a little shout out to my CMS co-workers. I absolutely love the people I work with. The middle school environment is definitely different from the elementary school environment that I student taught in, but I am loving it. The thing that makes me a little sad is that it's a bit more tricky to get to know everyone because it's such a big school. For example, when I ate lunch at Westside Elementary, there were at least 15 people who ate in the faculty room. At the middle school I'm at now though, there are only a few teachers who eat in the faculty. I know this is because we get a very short lunch (25 minutes) and everyone is crazy busy, but I don't think I could stand eating in my classroom. First of all, I'm a bit OCD when it comes to strange smells in compact spaces without good ventilation (hence why I could never eat a hot lunch in my room because it would smell funny the rest of the day), but second of all, it is so nice to get out of your classroom and talk to the other teachers! I'm getting to know the other teachers that I eat with pretty well. My day was totally made when I when I went to sit at another table, and the teachers waived me over and pulled a chair out for me to sit at! Ka-ching! I'm totally in! haha

As a side note, there is a math teacher that I absolutely adore and I've only talked to her maybe 5 times. She is the technology/computer wizard and helps out when something funky is going on with your computer. She took time out of her schedule at the beginning of the school year to help me figure things out with my computer. She's great. Anyway, she is a huge blogger and during lunch today she brought in a book she had made out of her blog. I guess she makes a book out of her blog every year and she uses the website blurb.com (you can google it - I tried to embed the website and it didn't work - lame). She let me look through it and it is really cool! I was planning on making this blog into a book when I was done with this school year, but now there's no question! It must be done!

I am also in love with the Special Ed staff at CMS - particularly the two women who teach in my hall. The woman next door to me teaches students with significant disabilities, and the woman across the hall teaches resource reading and writing. They are an inspiration and joy to be around. Sometimes I wish none of us had anything to do so we could just sit around and share stories all day! They have been a great support to me and the treat me as an equal and someone who they enjoy being around. I am truly grateful for them.

-Ms. Damron-

No comments:

Post a Comment