"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Monday, September 12, 2011

A bit forgetful...


Oy vey! (yes, I looked up the expression and that is actually how it is spelled!)

Today I have been a bit forgetful. I was barely on time to school at 7:30am this morning because as soon as I pulled into the school and turned my car off, I realized I had left my school keys at home. Awesome. Thank heavens I only live 5 minutes away! I rushed into school hoping that I would beat my kids there so that I could lock the door and run and make some copies before they got there. At about 7:45am, I realized that I was late to PLC (Personal Learning Community). PLCs are when all of the teachers get together in their specific subject and collaborate (ie-8th grade english teachers, 7th grade english teachers, history, science, etc.). We also have faculty meeting. It's a late start day, so students don't have to be to school until 9:15am.
Now, remember how my principal keeps attendance? Don't worry. As soon as I walked in FIFTEEN MINUTES LATE, he started writing on his clipboard! EEK! The funny part is that I actually waved to him while he was on his way to the library for PLC, but it didn't even register where he was going.

After school today, we had a Special Ed team meeting. I was next door getting some computer help when the teacher (who is also in Special Ed) asked if we had team meeting? Neither one of us had heard anything, but my neighbor headed on down and I dropped my stuff off. I called the team room just to make sure that we had the meeting, and the facilitator replied, "Yep. Every Monday at 3:00." Ouch. My forgetfulness is catching up to me! I'm going to have to try extra hard to be on time to things next Monday because this Monday did not work out so well.

This week is a regular schedule week, so we have block days today and tomorrow. I actually really enjoy block days. I probably enjoy it more because I have two prep periods and they happen to fall in such a way that I get a prep Monday and Tuesday. Not all teachers are as lucky. (In fact, I would dare to say no other teacher is that lucky because I don't think any other teacher has two prep periods. Hmm...)
I am finally getting around to having my students make a graph for each of their class periods so that they can graph their grades every week. The previous teacher told me that she did this and I really liked it. I think it will help students have accountability and be much more aware of how they are doing overall.
My 1st period is full of 7th graders and they BARELY finished making the graphs and plotting their grades before the bell ring. When I originally made my plans, I figured that drawing the graphs and then plotting their grades would take 30 minutes max. NO WAY. It took about 70 minutes. I had to try really hard to keep myself in check because they were going at a snail's pace! Thank heaven that is done though. Now that their graphs are made, it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to check their grades and plot it on each of their graph.
2nd period is full of 8th graders and they finished with about 25 minutes left of class! It still took longer than I thought it would, but they were pretty good sports about it.

We'll have to see how 4th period does tomorrow. Although they are 8th graders, there are 15 of them and they can get a bit rowdy/side tracked. Wish me luck with that one!

-Ms. Damron-

No comments:

Post a Comment