"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

NO FOOD IN MY CLASSROOM!

When I'm walking in my classroom and I step on a chip that someone SOMEHOW didn't notice fall, something inside of me snaps. I haaaaate it. 

At the beginning of the school year I said that students were allowed to eat food in my classroom until they made a mess and it became an issue. If that happened they would lose that privilege. Well, they did lose that privilege, and before Christmas, I had to instate the NO FOOD IN MY CLASSROOM rule. Awesome.

I will admit I got lax with it, but students are still eating in my classroom! And the funny part is that they try to hide it. They will keep a bag of chips in their backpack and sneakily reach their hand into their backpack and then slowly bring it up to their mouth...

Yeah right. I HAVE EYES AND I CAN SEE YOU. Ridiculous.

Well, I was eating a muffin in class today, and two boys were sharing chips. What do you know, one of the boys dropped a chip on the floor. Of course I lost it. I marched over there, and yes, with my mouth partially full of food, I said, "NO FOOD IS ALLOWED IN MY CLASSROOM!" He of course came back with, "But you're eating!"

To give the boy credit, I'm pretty sure he was about to pick up the chip that he dropped, but he's most likely an exception. Middle schoolers aren't the cleanest human beings on the earth. 

So, 6th period came along and one student was quietly eating chips while writing in his journal. 

Considering the blow up earlier, I knew I couldn't just let that slide.

I went up to him and said, "You can't eat in my classroom, so I'm going to have to throw your chips away."

The students LOST it. He started furiously saying, "NO! But I spent a dollar on those chips! You can't take them away. I'll put them away, I promise!!!!!"

I can't back down! So I took his chips.

Well, what was his natural response? He screamed, pounded his fists on the desks multiple times, stood up, picked up a chair, threw it across the room and stormed out of my class. 

Awesome...

Granted, this student is quite impulsive and does have anger problems, but still. 

My students all looked shocked, which is natural. I just told them to keep writing in their journals. haha

The best part of all of this? 

I had a new student today! He was just classified and so this was his first day in a special ed class. 

I'll bet he's super excited to come back!

-Ms. Damron-

I know you are curious about how 6th period ended. I talked to the student who stormed out of my classroom, and he did come back in and work quietly and obediently the rest of the class period. The rest of my students were out of control though, and we did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WE WERE SUPPOSED TO. It's cool. I like planning lessons and having such ridiculous behavior issues that we get nothing done that day. At least it's Wednesday, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment