"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

State Audit

Well, the state audit for Special Ed was today. I felt like it was so far away, but then it snuck up on me. Time really is flying by!

To give you an idea of what the audit entailed, our paperwork was checked to make sure it was in compliance with the law; there were several interviews that included special ed teachers, general ed teachers, and the assistant principal, and observations of special ed students were done to see if their accommodations were being met in their classes.

That's a lot, in case you didn't catch on.

Two of the six special ed teachers at my school were interviewed and I was one of the lucky interviewees! (When my facilitator told me I was going to be interviewed, I just laughed and thought to myself, "Of course I was chosen. This year isn't crazy enough!")



The interview itself went pretty well. I don't know how my folder fared, but the observation that happened in my class? Pretty sure it was AWFUL. It's cool though. Remember how my hardest class to manage is 6th period? Was that the class where the observation occurred? Of course it was! That's how my life works, right?!

And today wasn't any better than usual. When the observer from the state office came in, my students were acting typical: COMPLETELY INSANE. There were talk-outs up the wazoo, I was barely maintaing control, and one of the students might have fallen asleep.


Oh well. I only felt like crying and crawling into bed after the observer left, but fortunately I made it through 7th period. Funny enough, because I was not in the mood for any sort of mischief or disrespect, I was quite strict with my 7th period.
Last week, one of my students asked if I could be more strict. In fact, he begged me to be more strict. It was kind of weird and slightly unsettling. I couldn't figure out why he wanted me to be "more strict." The class wasn't out of control. We got work done, but we had fun.
Due to my lack of...cheer during 7th period though, I was tough! The poor kids didn't even get warnings (which they complained about), they just received a red point (which is not good).
When we broke up for homework time, that student who had asked me to be strict said, "Finally! You were strict and it was awesome!"

Huh?

I'm still confused about that one.

Oh well.

The audit is done and I feel so relieved. Now we just get to wait for results and feedback. Maybe it's not done yet...haha

To top it off, parent-teacher conferences are tomorrow, so I won't be leaving school until a little before 8:00 pm.
On that note, I'm going to bed!

-Ms. Damron-

Here's one more good one for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment