"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

First day of school YEAR 2!!!!

Hello!

I can't even believe that school has started once again. I don't think a summer has ever gone by faster. I've been working for almost two weeks though. Special Ed got 3 1/2 paid days before our contracted days to go through blue folders. Besides Leslie, our facilitator, I was the only teacher who took all 3 1/2 days before school. By day 1/2 I was struggling with staying focused. Day 3 1/2 was difficult! Sitting in a tiny room going through folder after folder was tedious to say the least. I'm really glad we did that before school started though. Last year we were scrambling all year long to fix problems with folders. This year we are so on top of things. Go Leslie go!

Due to the Special Ed compliance days and my schedule I didn't start setting up my classroom until last Wednesday. I put in a couple hours here and there and stayed until 6:00pm last Friday, August 17th. My classroom was a lot different from the way I left it! The computers were all left on the counter and everything that had been touching the floor (besides tables and chairs) was moved up onto the counters.  

It felt so good to be in my classroom! We had faculty meeting and whatnot on Friday and when I walked into my classroom I just got giddy! Yes - GIDDY. The smell of my classroom made me happy. Teacher nerd? Yes!

7th grade day was yesterday and it went really well. Homeroom with my 7th graders was super awkward at the beginning because they didn't say anything! Fortunately by the end of the day they were much more comfortable.

Today was the first day of school and I LOVE MY STUDENTS! There are going to be some tricky ones, but I am so happy to be back in school. I know most of the 8th graders from last year and I told them all that I missed them. I don't know if they quite believed me, but it's true. And I have to admit that I favor 8th graders over 7th graders. My 8th graders just hold a special place in my heart.

Speaking of 8th graders...two students that I had last year visited me after school! I was so happy to see them. And they've grown so much.

This year is going to be tough and I have several students who are going to teach me a lot, BUT, I'm so happy to be back. Bring on YEAR 2!

-Ms. Damron-


No comments:

Post a Comment