"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tender moment

I love having volunteers come to my classroom. I frequently have BYU students who are going into education volunteer. One of the classes they have to take is about students with disabilities and they have to get a certain number of volunteer hours in a special ed classroom. So of course I let them come to my classroom. The more the merrier in my opinion.

Two girls came this morning from 8-10 and I was so grateful to have them there. So many students need one-on-one help in order to get anything done, so I am always grateful for people who help in my classroom.

Anyway, I asked one of the girls to help some students with math. Before I sent her over there I asked her if she was good at math and she said she didn't think she was great, but she could probably handle middle school math.
Before she left we talked for a couple of minutes and she just looked at me and said, "What you do is absolutely amazing." She then proceeded to tell me that she had never realized how much work and effort goes into helping these students. She made the observation that they don't finish assignments easily and they struggle to comprehend assignments without very specific instructions and thorough explanations of concepts. She said she got an A in Calculus in high school, but when it comes to breaking down concepts and explaining them to someone with a disability, it's HARD.

YES it is. I was just so happy that she made that observation. She will be a great teacher if she takes the time to help those students in her classroom who need a little extra help. If she recognizes how important it is to take the time to explain things (even if it's the third or fourth time) and really work with her students, then she will be a teacher who cares AND changes lives.

-Ms. Damron-

No comments:

Post a Comment