"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Monday, November 21, 2011

Small successes

I am so happy!!!

I figured out a way for my 8th grade students to study the vocab from their English classes and pass the tests with flying colors!

Remember my goals for Term 2? Well one of the things I changed was that instead of having the students in Mrs. Scott's English class do the Daily Language Review with the rest of the class, I have them pulled to a different table where one of the paraeducators studies with them. They make flash cards, practice the spelling, practice putting the words into sentences...and guess what?! They are passing their vocab tests!

Term 1 they never passed the vocab tests. In fact, the typical vocab test scores were 4/20, 2/20, 6/20 - you get the idea. Basically they were failing every test.

Once we started this new intervention though, the students are doing great! In fact, Mrs. Scott stopped by my 2nd period today to tell the two boys that one of them got a 100% and the other boy only missed one! I just about died from happiness. The boy who only missed one said, "Really?!"

It really is the little things in life that bring smiles. (I'm seriously freaking out I'm so happy!!!)

-Ms. Damron-

No comments:

Post a Comment