"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Saturday, August 31, 2013

UG. First sub day is coming up...

My sister Alyssa is going on a study abroad to Jerusalem this fall, and I get to take her to the airport this Tuesday. What does that mean...sub day! I debated and debated if I should take the whole day off or just take the morning off, but after talking to several co-workers, I decided there really isn't any point in writing sub plans and then coming back for two periods! It helped when my principal said, "Just take the whole day off." Zero regrets now.

I despise writing sub plans though. I would rather go to school feeling terrible and then just go home and be lazy rather than write sub plans and stay home all day. (I realize that sub plans might take 1-2 hours versus a 7-8 hour school day, but that goes to show you how much I don't like writing them.) Plus, it is so hard to leave my dear, SPECIAL, children with a sub. They need structure and routine, and they often goof off and accomplish almost nothing with a sub. When you teach a homework help class that is geared towards helping them pass their other classes, it is extremely difficult to have someone else teach the class because they don't know what is going on in all of the other classes! (That was a long-winded sentence, but you get the idea.)

Anyway, sub plans are finally done and I am ready for my break on Tuesday! Boo ya!

When I told my classes I would have a sub, they all complained and said they would miss me! Talk about endearing. One girl said, "But you make it fun!" Definitely tender.

Another tender moment occurred in my Writing Skills class. I have a Hispanic boy who is tall and looks very well put together. He has beautiful hair that is always perfectly sculpted, he has cool socks and shoes, etc. Yet, his writing looks like an elementary school student's handwriting and he is in the lowest reading class we have. He has already nabbed a place in my heart though. He is well-behaved in my class and on Friday, he asked where my notes were in his journal. (The past few days I have read their journal entries and written personal comments.) He sounded bummed that I didn't write back and he said he was going to leave space for me to write a comment. My heart just melted. A-dor-a-ble.

On the same lines, the first time I wrote back in their journals, another kid wrote my note and said, "That's really cool that you do that. My other teacher didn't do this."

(Sigh.) I love my job. Year three is already AWESOME.

-Ms. Damron-

No comments:

Post a Comment