"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Possible leader?

I have a student in my 7th period who is a bit of a challenge. He has given himself a nickname, "BillyBilly" and has instructed me to call him that and say it fast. He actually complimented me the second or third day of school because I was the first teacher who remembered his name(s) - he has given me several.
Now, the reason this particular student is a challenge is because he is perfectly fine academically, but his behavior is what inhibits his learning. He struggles with handing in assignments, having a good attitude, refraining from saying negative comments, etc. I have been puzzled as to how I should handle the situation because while my other students are in the class for academic IEP (Individualized Education Program) goals, he is in my class merely because of behavior goals. So, what do you do with a student who is on grade level, while everyone else is not, but has a hard time doing the assignments and acting appropriately in class? Hmmm...
This is going to take some work.

Today I made a little discovery though. I gave each student a packet called Understanding Your Learning Style. The reading in the packet was at a higher level then most students could read or understand, so I would read it out loud while my students followed along, then we would discuss it until I could tell my students understood the material. Well, BillyBilly volunteered to read and surprised me by reading the paragraph perfectly. In fact, he wanted to read more and more. Yay! I found something that he can be successful at and that will help boost his self-esteem...and give him something to do.
He is the cutest kid and he works really hard once he gets started, but sometimes (sometimes being every day so far) he likes to push my buttons...and everyone else's buttons...and see what our reactions are. Yeah...we'll have to work on that.

Nevertheless, I find him endearing and my favorite part about him is that he loves Monk and Psych. Who happens to LOVE those tv shows? Me. That's right folks. We have something in common. And one of my favorite moments from today? When we were discussing how visual learners sometime have photographic memories and BillyBilly said, "Like in Psych?!"

Yup. I'm proud to be his teacher.

-Ms. Damron-

No comments:

Post a Comment