"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Sunday, January 14, 2018

"Sparkle"

I have had a GOOD couple of weeks teaching. Despite having the shortest winter break I've had in a long time, I came back feeling ready to go! It was a great feeling. I've also had such a great start to 2018. Having a prep period every day does AMAZING things. I am actually able to prepare lessons in advance! Who would have thought? haha
As well as being prepared lesson-wise, my lessons have been going really well. My students have been grasping content and we have been in a good flow. Class has been pretty chill, we've had fun, and kids are learning! I realize this will not last forever, but I am riding this wave while it lasts! Eventually I will have to do more than just lesson prep (IEPs are coming up, I need to write tests/test trackers, and I need to submit/update unit plans...), but I sure am feeling good about things right now!

I wanted to share a few cute stories before I forget them. This blog is my only memory-keeping outlet for teaching stories, so it's important to stay caught up.

Jan. 2018
*student raises hand*
Female student: Ms. Damron, I just have to get this off my chest...
Me: Okay...
Female student: Every time you start something new, your eyes just sparkle. And I'm sorry, but I just had to tell you.
*another student nods in agreement*
Me: You had to "get off your chest" the fact that every time I introduce something new I get really excited and my eyes sparkle?
Female student: Yes.

*internally (and externally) beaming because you better BELIEVE I took that as a compliment.

Dec. 2017
*student complains about school*
Male student: I don't know why I came to school today.
Female student: ...to get an EDUCATION?
*female student gives male student theeee most "NO DUH" look ever*

A few moments later
Male student: Ain't nobody walking past this class!
Female student: That's because everybody is learning but YOU.
*female student rolls eyes dramatically*

Dec. 2017
*student asks about math courses next year*
Me: You will take another algebra class next year and then you'll take geometry.
Female student: With you though, right?
Me: No. I don't teach that one. You'll have me the next year though.
Student: Nope. I'm not taking it. I'm going to specifically ask for you. I'm not taking another math class if you're not my teacher.


There have been SO many stories, but I need to do a better job of sharing them. I have to say that teaching is finally a passion again. We aaallll know it was a ROUGH beginning, but I am finding my groove and I love love LOVE my students. They make me laugh, bring me such joy, and challenge me every day. I'm grateful I have a job that stimulates my mind and allows me to serve others. I also enjoy the perks of days off! Three day weekends should be a weekly thing.

-Ms. Damron-

No comments:

Post a Comment