"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Monday, December 25, 2017

The Execution (of both my papers and my soul)

I would say the average person completes their National Boards in one school year. That’s roughly 8-9 months. I crunched my National Boards into about 3.5-4 months. I did most of the writing in TWO months. Imagine all of that concentrated stress and anxiety funneled into two months. I was teaching full time, writing what felt like a million IEPs (how were they all due in April and May???), attending weekly, two-hour meetings on BYU campus for my summer practicum job, applying for jobs in another state, and somehow video recording my classes, writing paper after paper for my National Board Certification and consuming large amounts of sour cream and onion chips with cottage cheese, plenty of Diet Coke, and fresh cookie dough made by the one and only Kathy R (seriously though – her cookie dough could stop wars and institute world peace – it’s that good). Those were delicious, but difficult days.
I would set up camp in my living room with a foldable craft table and all of the PDF instructions laid out. The entire process is completed electronically. You could actually download all of the instructions right now if you wanted to. The instructions are very detailed, but also extremely broad and hard to interpret. NBTC applies to such a vast array of educators and content areas that you can only be given a broad sense of instructions. The execution of said instructions is up to you.  

*Now would also be a good time to sing praises to my roommate for dealing with my intense usage of the living room. She was a real champ and always encouraged me.*

The Breaking Point


I went on a lot of walks around my neighborhood during April and May. When I felt like I just couldn’t handle one more NBTC pdf file of instructions that seemed everything but user-friendly or the sitting down position after typing hundreds of words became too stagnant and my body started cramping up, I knew it was time to get outside. I would put headphones in, listen to Muse on repeat, and walk and walk. There were some tender mercy moments during those walks and I’m grateful for a world with clouds, skies, and beautiful sunsets. 



Those were also sentimental moments (with a few tears shed) because I knew that my time in Provo was coming to an end. My opportunities to enjoy neighborhood walks on the mountainside were soon to be over. I hadn’t yet gone public about my upcoming move, so my sentimental moments often had to be choked down and endured silently.

I found myself wondering why in the world the prompt to get my National Board Certification came NOW? I couldn’t even find a job as an educator. Was I going to put all of this time and effort into a certification for a job I might not even have in the future?  I was going to leave my dear friends and family in a few short months and instead of cherishing those last days of teaching, I was crying in my classroom during my prep, pulling late nights, and closeting myself in my living room to write yet another piece of a component. I was miserable. Truly miserable.
Still, the hours and hours spent writing, reflecting, editing, reflecting and revising again became the norm. The number of times I broke down in uncontrollable sobs and went to my room, fell on my knees, and pled with God to give me understanding and endurance increased steadily over those two months. This felt like the hardest academic task I had ever faced (truly – EVER – in my entire academic career) and I didn’t think I was going to make it. I had never felt such inexplicit incapability. The refiner’s fire is a true adage in this case. I remember feeling like I was peeling back layers of myself and discovering an inept, mediocre, insignificant teacher who had zero skills and insight into her own vocation and passion. It was a bizarre time in my life. I realize that those are crazy thoughts, but I can’t quite impress on you the level of despair I felt completing this certification. It was almost as if this certification was more than a certification for me – it was an experiment in determining my breaking point – and my limits were being tested.

The Finish Line

I had unbelievably understanding administration and co-workers who filled in for my slack when I took many a day off to write my life away or had to do one more video recording, student pull out and interview, PLC interrogation, etc. There were empathetic, listening ears and comforting words during the many many hours of despairing venting sessions and I’m grateful to each and every one of you that listened to me and encouraged me during such a difficult time.

Components 2-4 needed to be submitted by Wednesday, May 17 at 11:00 pm MST. Go figure I had my two-hour practicum meeting on campus that day and I felt nauseous during the entire meeting. I didn’t want to be there. About thirty minutes before the class started, I discovered that the electronic submission process wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be. I called the NBTC support line and the man on the phone confirmed my worst fears. I thought I could just submit my word documents online, but it turned out that I had to put all the separate word documents into one large pdf file. Some components had 10 different documents. You have to have certain software and/or access to scanners in order to create such pdf files. At that point in the day, on the LAST DAY, I wasn’t actually done writing all of the pieces for Component 4. Either I could spend my time creating these pdf files for submission, or I could write the rest of the pieces for Component 4. I had to make a choice, but there was no foreseeable way I could actually pull this off. I paid all that money and spent all of those hours, but I wouldn’t even get to submit every component. There was no way I was going get this certification this round.
I was practically in tears when I walked into that room in the McKay Building to “mentor” my BYU teacher candidates. I was trying to text my friend Kathy while also being “professional” and hold back the bile that was building up.
I fled the room and headed to the Wilkinson Center as soon as class was over and met my two friends Julia and Kathy for dinner. (A girl needs fuel before she continues to walk the plank.) My angel friend Kathy told me she owned a scanner at her house and if I emailed her all of the documents, she would scan them and create the pdf files for me. TRULY, God sent me an angel that day and she came in the form of my dear co-worker and cherished friend. After a quick dinner, I returned to the library and continued to write while I would email Kathy my word documents. She was fighting her own scanning battles as things would go in the wrong way, upside down, etc. She miraculously scanned and created my three pdf files. It was a miracle. Around 9:45 pm I realized that I couldn’t submit my videos online because they too needed to be submitted in a different, more condensed format, which required a specific software.
At this point in the evening, Kathy walked over to the Harold B Lee Library, brought me cookies, and converted my two videos into the acceptable format while I reviewed my last reflection paper one more time. It was 10:45 pm when I had finally submitted the last of the components. We walked out of that library in a daze. I was free. Honestly, we were both free. Kathy helped me more than I can convey. She spent hours helping me brainstorm, covering during my absences (she was one of my co-teachers), providing dinners, snacks, and general consolation. She was my rock during that certification and I will never forget what she did for me.

Celebrating New Year's Eve with a round of Sparkling Cider. Little did we know what was in our future during 2017!

No comments:

Post a Comment