"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Results TBA

The big question now is, did I pass all of the components and receive my National Board Certification?
The results are not in yet, but I have a couple of thoughts. If I were to give advice to anyone thinking about getting their National Board Certification, I would whole-heartedly say DO IT. I honestly became a better reflector through this process. More often, I find myself asking why we do things. Processes and routines don’t improve and grow unless someone asks why we do certain things. We often get stuck in our own comfort box and try not to move out of it. We ask our students to challenge their own thinking and do hard things; shouldn’t we challenge ourselves as well?

Real-life advice pieces include the following:
·      Find as many NBTC educators you can. Talk to them, email them, ask questions, and GET HELP AND SUPPORT. Start the reach-out process as soon as you decide that you want to get your certification. People are busy – you need to establish connections early in the game.
·      DO NOT PROCRASTINATE. I feel like I could end my advice right there. Basically, do the opposite of what I did. Haha
·      Keep a binder with all of the pdf instructions. It helps to have everything in one place so you can flip back and forth. Use those instructions as your drawing board. Mark those instructions up! Highlight, write notes in the margins, etc. Do whatever helps you decipher and translate the instructions.
·      Reflect. The best advice I got was that you are not demonstrating that you are a perfect teacher, you are demonstrating that you are a reflective teacher. If your video submissions showed students that are off-task or struggling, reflect on what you could have done better. Share insight on what you will change and modify next time. (But also, don’t send a video submission of your zoo animal class.)
·      You can pick and choose your best students, lessons, units, etc. This is supposed to be a spotlight on your teaching. Set yourself up for success! You don’t have to choose the wild class.


I wanted to write this out before I received my results because I don’t want the results to taint my before-impressions. I’m hoping I pass at least two of the components. In particular, I really want to pass the video submission component. Getting permission slips and video recording my students in my current school would be a NIGHTMARE. Please no. I think Component 2 (all about assessment and how I use that to impact my teaching) was my strongest component. Component 4 was a scrap-job miracle and I have no idea what to think about that. As for the exam, I think it could go either way. I think I passed, but I couldn’t bet money and necessarily win.
Overall, I’m glad for the experience. I discovered that my breaking point is higher than I thought. Despite doubting every teacher strength I thought I had, I never gave up. I don’t NEED this certification. I can get jobs without it. I don’t even get that much of a pay increase for having this certification. I don’t even know how much longer I will be in education. (I’m going through an educator mid-life crisis, but also, I’m hoping that marriage and family are somewhere in my 5-year plan?)
Part of me wants to fail at least one component so that when I help other educators in the future, I can share my experience and let them know that even though I didn’t pass the first time, I chose to examine my weak points, reflect, and try again.


I have a couple of sayings in my classroom: “I love a good challenge” and “We can do hard things.” Through my continued education and personal experiences, I hope I can show my students that I live those sayings and it has made me stronger than I was yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment