"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Popularity Contest?

I am determined to maintain a decent bedtime, so I have to be in my bed in 12 minutes - which seems impossible considering I still need to do the getting ready for bed part - so that's cool. :/

I don't want to forget this small bright moment while it lasts, so here's a story for you.

While I was at my door today (all teachers are expected to be at their doors inviting students in and monitoring the halls), a teacher in my hall passed by and said,

"You are winning the popularity contest! What are you doing in that room?!!!"
She then leaned in and said that one particularly difficult student likes me and THAT is a victory for sure.

I stopped by her classroom after school to introduce myself because I didn't even know her name yet and she said that she has had several students TODAY tell her that they really like me and my class. She asked what kind of snacks I was passing out or what was going on, but she joked that I was winning the popularity contest!

In all seriousness though, she then talked about developing relationships and how important that is. She told me that those students' reactions is a sign that I am a good teacher [meaning I build relationships].

Talk about a solid first week of school.

-Ms. Damron-

P.S. 8 minutes until bedtime...

No comments:

Post a Comment