"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

What kind of a teacher am I?

So a month or so back I remember it was kind of a crazy day. It was a Tuesday, so we had a block day (each period was 85 minutes). I have a couple of students in my 4th period who are excellent gymnasts (a boy and a girl). Well, the boy has been asking me all year long if he could show me some of his sweet moves. I haven't let him, but that day I was in a...more carefree mood. The boy and the girl were talking each other up saying who could do a better hand stand. When the break came, and they had pestered me enough, I let them each do a hand stand.
The girl went first and did more than I could, but her hand stand wasn't exactly perfect. The boy laughed a little bit, then stopped when I gave him that "teacher look." When his turn came, he did an excellent hand stand and might have even walked a little bit. It was really quite impressive.
I remember thinking, "I've completely lost control of my classroom." It was really neat seeing what they could do though.

Later that day I was telling my sister this story and she said something like this,

"Today I can choose to fight my students, or I can sit back and let their unique talents thrive."

We both got a good laugh out of it, but she definitely made a point. I love my students and I hope they can all find their talents and develop and strengthen them so that they are never defined by their disability, but rather by their abilities.

-Ms. Damron-

No comments:

Post a Comment