"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Just my luck



So apparently the Special Ed meeting god has it in for me!
I had my first official IEP today and I was pretty excited. I figured it would be pretty simple. I figured a lot of the stuff out yesterday, but during 5th period today I went and talked to my facilitator about this particular student to double check a few things. Today was a block day, so 5th period was 85 minutes. Guess what? We talked THE ENTIRE 85 MINUTES. Yup. That really happened.
She was super awesome and she helped me write the goals I needed to and went over the entire IEP with me. It was fantastic! While I was in there we also talked about a few other things and sorted some stuff out for some other periods. It was a much needed chat and I wish I got one at least once a week, BUT, today probably wasn't the best time to have it. Then again, there's no time like the present, right? haha

The 5th period bell rang and thankfully I had lunch next. What did I do during my lunch though? Panic about the IEP I had to write! EEK. So, thankfully my 6th period is a good little class and I had them take turns reading the novel we're reading this month. Some of them were a little hesitant to read out loud, but they were so good. When I started class I told them I had some really important paperwork to get done and I needed them to do me a huge favor by reading while I finished some paperwork. I finished right around the time they were going stir crazy, so it worked out wonderfully. Now that I think about it, I should have given them all a little treat for being so good and reading while I was doing something in the back of the room. Maybe I'll take care of that tomorrow. :)

My 7th period ended at 2:50 and my meeting was supposed to start at 3:00. I dashed to the restroom, filled up my water bottle, and then ran to the faculty room to print off the IEP. It took forever to load and print, so I was about 7 minutes late to my meeting. Greeeat. There were also two other IEP meetings going on today, so I had no where to hold my meeting! I felt guilty that I was so disorganized when I first met with mom and her son, but it got sorted out easily enough.
We ended up having the meeting in my classroom and I actually really liked it that way. Usually IEP's are held in the conference room in the main office or the special ed team room, but I've always liked having them in your classroom. You feel so much more confident and comfortable.

So, overall it worked and and went smoothly. I just thought it was a little ironic that things were a little hectic yet again. One of these days I'll be super on top of it and not do everything the day of! (Let's not get a head of ourselves though...)

-Ms. Damron-

No comments:

Post a Comment