"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Rap music

A couple of days ago, my last period was strangely subdued. One girl had a headache, another girl put her head on her desk and wouldn't open up about whatever was bothering her, another student was sad and opened up to me about all sorts of things (a friend was mad at him at lunch, he feels like he doesn't have any friends and can't be himself, and he's bummed he doesn't have a girlfriend), and the other three students were just eerily quiet. During that class period I decided I would rather have a wild, crazy class, than that scary quiet class.

As a way to lighten the mood, I told my class I was going to play a song for them. I told them to listen carefully to the words as I pushed play for Ingrid Michaelson's "Be Okay."

*silence*
*awkward stares*
*no change in atmosphere*

I personally love that song, but we aren't in Kansas (or Utah) anymore my friends! I used to play songs for my students all the time and some would sing along and laugh at my silly song choices. This is a different crowd and one student finally said,

"If you want to make us happy, you need to play rap music."

#shutdown #newculture #notinkansasanymore

-Ms. Damron-

No comments:

Post a Comment