"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Last Student Teacher Standing

One of my good science teacher friends told me that her student teacher quit a couple of days ago. This science teacher had been providing a lot of in-class support because the student teacher seemed to be struggling a lot. After the student teacher's first day on her own, she went home and had an anxiety attack over classroom management, texted the science teacher the next day saying she was sick, then left the program. She left this science teacher with very little warning or preparation, so she had to pick up lessons without any preparation. Crazy stuff.

We were at a professional development this afternoon when the teacher told me this, and my student teacher was sitting at the table with us. When we were walking back to the classroom, she said, "It seems like the student teachers are all disappearing!" I jokingly told her it seemed like some sort of contest: "LAST STUDENT TEACHER STANDING." Yikes! My student teacher told me that she was freaked out the first week she was here (during the observation stage - not when she was teaching). She confessed that she did go home and cry. Awe! Poor Emily! She told me that it got a lot better after that and she realized that she can't take behaviors home with her - she needs to leave those kind of things at school.

I have a hard time reading her some times because she doesn't show emotion the same way I do (which is basically written all over my face and portrayed in my every action). Hopefully she's happy and enjoying her time here! I just hope I am being helpful and supportive. Regardless - I am loving having a student teacher! I have been able to do homework at school, which is pretty convenient these days!

-Ms. Damron-

No comments:

Post a Comment