"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Acrostic poems

Yearbook day was on Wednesday, May 29. We have shortened class periods and then we dismiss classes early (around 1:45 pm) so that students can find their friends who aren't in their classes and sign yearbooks, say good-bye, etc. Basically, it's complete chaos and I was lucky enough to have a couple of students stay in my room and help me clean up! So great.

I only teach a maximum of 14 students per class period, and the entire class never actually shows up. I started this last year, when I sign yearbooks, I write acrostic poems using their first names. It is so much fun. (I hate those boring and very non-personal messages: HAGS!)

My second period had the most students and I created some pretty good acrostic poems. I think one of them mentioned ninjas, and another one talked about NOT eating oranges in my classroom (because this student would frequently eat oranges in my class when she wasn't supposed to!).

Another student cracked me up. I adore this student and I will miss him. I was telling him that it would take a few minutes for me to "sign" his yearbook because I write acrostic poems with using names. They are all originals, so it takes some time to come up with them! He read one of the poems I wrote and thought it was hilarious.

I was still trying to come up with one for him when he came up to me and said the following:

Kade's
Awesomeness
Dwells
Eternally.

I was stunned. And I loved it! It was brilliant. I asked him where he came up with it and he said that one day he was looking at his name and trying to come up with something it could stand for. That's when he came up with that fantastic acrostic poem. Of course I had to use it. I was laughing all day over that.

The only other poem I remember was this:

Marry
A
Dashing and
Darling
Entrepreneur

I think that was totally fitting because when this girl signed my yearbook she told me to get married! Kids these days. haha

-Ms. Damron-

No comments:

Post a Comment